Furfuryl Alcohol - Miscible with Water
Furfuryl alcohol is made from furfural through the catalytic reduction reaction. Pure furfuryl alcohol is clear colorless liquid, and it will become amber if it is stored for long time. It is miscible with water but unstable in water. And it is very soluble in ethanol, benzene and chloroform. Furfuryl alcohol can be used in polymerization reaction to make resin through the processes of acids, heat and catalysts.
Furfuryl alcohol structural formula.
Furfuryl alcohol liquid.
- Molecular formula: C5H6O2.
- Molecular weight: 98.10 g/mol.
- Density: 1.135 g/cm3.
- Melting point: -29°C.
- Boiling point: 171°C.
- Freezing point: -29°C.
- Flash point: 75°C.
Properties: furfuryl alcohol is clear colorless to light yellow liquid, and it turns into red or brown when exposed to light and air. It has slight burning odor and bitter taste. It is miscible with water but it is unstable in water. It is very soluble in ethanol, ethyl ether, benzene and chloroform. It is insoluble in petroleum hydrocarbon.
- Furfuryl alcohol is used to manufacture many chemical products, such as furfural resin, furan resin, phenolic resin, adhesives and wetting agents.
- Furfuryl alcohol can be used to make tartaric acid, plasticizer, rocket fuel and solvent.
Furfuryl alcohol can be used to make rocket fuel.
Furfuryl alcohol can be used to manufacture phenolic resin.
- It may irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes if contact.
- It may irritate nose, throat and lungs, causing coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath if inhalation.
- Repeated or prolonged contact can cause skin rash, dryness and redness.